VMware vSphere 4.0u2, VMware vCenter 4.0u2, Update Manager 4.0u2 and VMware Data Recovery 1.2 released
Yesterday VMware released update 2 for it’s vSphere 4.0 platform.
This release includes:
- ESX/ESXi 4.0 update 2
- vCenter Server 4.0 update 2
- vCenter Update Manager 4 Update 2
- VMWare Data Recovery 1.2
There are no new features in ESX/ESXi and vCenter.
The update for ESX/ESXi primarily introduces additional hardware support, in particular FT support for Intel Xeon 34xx, Xeon56xx and Core i3/i5 CPUs.
The update for vCenter introduces environment customization for additional guest operating systems: the most notable for me are SLES 11, RedHat 4.8, 5.4, 5.5 and Debian 5.0
The update for Update Manager improve reliability of operations on hosts in low bandwitdh/lossy networks.
The most interesting update is VDR 1.2. Here there are new features:
- File Level Restore now available to use in linux
- Up to 10 Data Recovery backup appliance for each vCenter
- Support for fast switching among Data Recovery backup appliances.
- Miscellaneous vSphere Client Plug-In user interface enhancements
The major enhancement (for my use) is the support for FRL in linux!
For details here are links to release notes: