ESXi 5.0 – how to install HP bundle via vCLI
As I’ve written on this post, the HP ESXi 5.0 custom image has some issues: given that I think that it’s better to use the VMware iso image. In the VMware iso image the HP CIM provider and the NMI drivers are missing and must be installed. The installation of these modules is easy and is a good way to get used to the new vCLI 5.0 commands.
Note: I’m using the vSphere CLI 5.0 from a Windows machine, if you are using the CLI command from linux or from vMA the esxcli.exe command becomes esxcli. Thanks to @Mandivs for let me clarify this.
- Download from HP website the bundles: HP ESXi Offline Bundle for VMware ESXi 5.0 and HP NMI Sourcing Driver for VMware ESXi 5.0
- Let’s place the host in maintenance mode:
vicfg-hostops.pl –server –operation enter
WARNING: vicfg-hostops does not work with DRS. The default behaviour is suspend Virtual Machines
- Check that the host is in maintenance mode:
vicfg-hostops.pl –server <server> –operation info
- And now let’s install the HP bundles:
esxcli.exe -s -u -p software vib install -d “[datastore1]hp-esxi5.0uX-bundle-1.0-20.zip”
esxcli.exe -s -u -p software vib install -d “[datastore1]hp-nmi-esxi5.0-bundle-2.0-11.zip”
- Reboot host:
vicfg-hostops.pl –server <server> –operation reboot
- When the host has fully rebooted, let’s check the installed modules:
esxcli.exe -s -u -p software vib list
- And now, exit maintenance mode:
vicfg-hostops.pl –server <server> –operation exit
And here it is: the Hp bundles are installed.