VMware Workstation 8 released!
VMware Workstation 8 was released today.
Here the main news
- Virtual hardware improvement:
- VM can now support up to 64GB ram
- newHD Audio device for Vista, 7 Windows 2008 e 2008 R2 guests
- USB 3.0 support available for Linux guests
- Bluetooth devices on the host can now be shared with Windows guests
- You can now enable Virtual VT-X/EPT or AMD-V/RVI in the processor settings interface: with this feature, you can also run 64-bit guest operating systems inside of vSphere running inside Workstation.
- New user interface: new menus, new toolbar and improved preferences screen
- You can share virtual machines with remote users
- New Autostart feature: shared virtual machines can be configured to start with the host system.
- New feature "Connect to server": you can connect to remote hosts running Workstation, ESX 4.x and later, and VMware vCenter Server. After connecting to a remote host, all of the virtual machines that you have permission to access are displayed in the virtual machine library
- Upload to ESX/vCenter: you can upload a virtual machine from Workstation to a remote server running ESX, ESXi, or vCenter Server
My thoughts: I found interesting the Autostart feature (no more reasons to not say goodbye to the old VMware Server…) and the integration between Workstation and vSphere. Another feature useful is the ability to run 64-bit guest virtualized on virtualized vSphere: useful for virtual on virtual lab.